How Much Does An Electrician Cost
1300 564 154
Table of Contents
Before beginning any electrical job, it’s vital to get a quote. If you’ve done this in the past, you’ve probably noticed that quotes range in price from very low to ridiculously high. Why is that? That’s easy, competition.
Every electrical contractor wants your business, and some will offer extremely low prices to get it. But you do get what you pay for, and cheaper isn’t always better.
At the other end of the scale is the ‘premium provider’ who feels they can mark up their prices to maximise profit. In the end, though, this isn’t good for you as the customer.
At North Shore Electricians, we believe in fair, transparent pricing. We’re not the cheapest on the market, but we don’t gauge our clients, either.
We’ve put together this sheet of average costs by state, city, and job right across Australia.
Our quotes are in line with these prices, so there aren’t any surprises.
How Much Does an Electrician Cost Per Hour?
The amount that an electrician charges per hour depends on the location, the size and nature of the job, and the additional skill that may be required.
Most average costs per hour are detailed in the tables below. However, some projects that are more specific in nature may have a different hourly rate.
How Much Do Electricians Cost in Australian States?
Australia is a big country, and based on location, population size and access to services, the cost of living differs from state to state.
Electrical services are the same, and while the Australian Capital Territory is currently the cheapest state for electricians, Victoria is the most expensive.
Below is what you’d expect to pay, on average per hour, for standard electrical services:
|State||Average cost per hour|
|New South Wales||$102.50|
|Australian Capital Territory||$90.50|
30 years of experience
Work to fit your timetable
How Much Do Electricians Cost in Australian Cities?
Like everything in Australia, the cost of services in the cities differs from that in rural areas. The table above lists the average price for an electrician per hour by state.
The table below suggests a range you’d expect to pay per hour in each of Australia’s major cities. If you’re paying anything outside of this range, you should have concerns.
|City||Average cost range per hour|
What Is The Average Cost of Common Electrical Jobs?
There are two ways to get quoted for electrical services in Australia. Sometimes an hourly rate is given; often, it’s a charge per job.
Below is an average amount you’d expect to pay for standard electrical services. The rate below includes the cost of labour as well as any materials that would be used to complete the job. We have gathered data over the last year of the average unit price of the 10 most popular electrical services. Try out the calculator to get an estimate of how much you are likely to spend
Electrical Services Cost Calculator
What Is The Average Call-Out Fee for An Electrician?
A call-out fee is a charge that many service providers, including electricians, charge the clients just to ‘show up’ at the site.
We’ve seen electrical companies across Australia charge anywhere from $35 right up to $90.
At North Shore Electricians, we don’t believe in call-out fees. When we quote, we’ll cost a rate per hour for services, any materials required, and in some circumstances, travel time. We will never quote or charge a call-out fee.
What Factors Impact The Cost of Electrical Services?
As you’ve seen, rates per hour or job have a broad range, and this is due to many things. At North Shore Electricians, we believe in fair and transparent pricing; you’ll never be charged more than what a job is actually worth.
When reviewing a quote, here are some factors to consider.
- Hourly rate – as you’ve seen, this can fluctuate wildly between city, state and job. The rates we’ve listed are the averages, and you shouldn’t be paying more (or less) than these.
- Extremely low rates – some companies will undercut the competition to get your business. This results in possibly shoddy workmanship, as they may be paying their contractors less than they’re worth.
- Inflated rates – we’ve given you the averages; if you’re getting significantly higher quotes, you may be getting ripped off. Some electrical companies consider themselves offering a premium service but shop around, and you’ll find similar experiences at fairer rates.
- Travel time – sometimes, travel time may be included in a quote. Our electricians are located right across Sydney, and we do our best to match local contractors with the jobs. In cases where a unique character set is required, we may need someone to travel far from their base and need to include that in the quote.
- Materials – beware of quotes that contain an ‘all-in-one’ price. Always ask for labour and materials to be broken down separately. Electricians are providing a service, and they shouldn’t be marking up materials and making additional profit. All-in-one pricing is often done to hide the markups.
Shop Around for the Best Quote
The tables above reflect the average rates per hour for electrical services in all the states and major cities of Australia. These charges are indicative of what people are paying in 2023.
If any quote you receive is much higher or lower than these prices, you have cause for concern and are best off asking questions or taking your business elsewhere.
Our quotes at North Shore Electricians align with the prices in the tables. If the job is unique or not covered above, we’ll explain how we did our pricing calculations.
Allow North Shore Electricians to Quote
With over 30 years in the industry and thousands of happy clients across Sydney, we welcome the opportunity to work on your electrical requirements.
Contact us today for a no-obligation free quote and see how we can partner together to meet all your electrical needs.